Well I had threatened to cheat when I pieced the top. I was afraid that trying to get all those cornerstones to line up nicely would be really hard. As it turned out it pieced exceptionally well. My fallback plan had been to use solid black for the horizontal pieces and then fuse the corners in place. Well I didn't need to. Whew!
I still have no idea how I am going to quilt this puppy. This afternoon I'll work on the back. So far I"m thinking I'll use a solid black homespun (same fabric I used for the sashing) then I'll paint it using various fiber paints. I chose homespun because it matched the texture of many of the striped fabics. I'll incorporate circles of all sizes- both positive and negative ( done with freezer paper stencils). I'll also use some checkerboard stamps and maybe a few stripes. I'll use opaque and metallic paints so the colors will show up well.
Back to the studio for round 2- the back